Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Kindness of a Stranger

I meant to post this the other day...but as always, I'm a few days behind. :-)

I was at Winco with the girls last week. I needed to pick up a few things for dinner that night. While I was there I decided to just do a big grocery trip. So I was pushing the cadillac of a double stroller (I should take a picture so you can see the ridiculousness of it) and pulling a cart. The first item on my list was chips so I headed to the chip aisle. So...yeah...that was where I basically scrapped that plan, decided to just get what I needed for dinner and then come back later without the girls. I'm sure I looked like a freight train trying to navigate my way through Winco.

Well, to make a long story even more long, a woman with her 10 month old son Austin stopped me in the aisle and we chatted for a bit. Later as I was checking out she came over and offered to help me out to the car. It was such a sweet gesture and I really did need the help. It made me wonder when the last time it was that I'd helped out a complete stranger like that. Really it was such a small gesture in the grand scheme of things but it will always stand out in my mind because things like that don't happen in our every day lives that often. Hopefully it made me more aware of helping out others when it is obviously needed. I want my girls to grow up being givers and helpers to others. I want them to be aware of how blessed they are in life and to not take it for granted. Children learn by watching their parents so it is my hope that S and I can be that example to our girls.

Here are some unrelated pictures also from last week. I can't believe how big they are getting. They are really filling out. N has been smiling more and more. It's still only occasionally and you can't really predict when but I do see her giving a full blown responsive smile in the next few weeks.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

N
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

K
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

woosterweester said...

I am falling in love with those little girls already! Love the pics! As for the kindness of a stranger, I know EXACTLY what you mean! Just the other day I had the girls by myself at Target--bags, Elisha in the cart trying to help me with the digital camera download on the computer, and Eva strapped to me in the snugli--dropped something and a gentleman actually offered to help me for a few minutes with whatever I needed. I must've looked like I needed it! It melted my heart, and was so thrilled to read a similar story by you. Those little kindnesses DO make a difference! Maybe Oprah aired a show or something recently which has encouraged this flood of kindnesses in LO and Hillsboro. Who knows.:) Hopefully it's just that people actually care. (BTW, I'm just impressed you were at the store with BOTH!)

Zone8 Knitter said...

When are you coming in with these little sweeties?

We are needing to see them? Well I need to see them.

Loving Life said...

I'm impressed too that you handled a shopping cart and BOTH babies AND having to bag your own food. What a PRO! I hope you treated yourself to a coffee or something afterwards!

It's the small things in life that make us smile, isn't it? Your 'stranger' makes me realize how simple an act it takes to make someone's day a little more breatheable.
Have a great 4th Celebration! Give me a call sometime when you want some company!!!
~debi~